Some of my favorite posts to read on blogs are the lists where people share about the things they're glad they learned (or maybe wished they'd known) in their 20's. Maybe it's because I'm in my 20's and love lists, but there's also something about 20's that are so unique and mysterious to me.
I was emailing with a dear friend about how my 20's are nothing like I ever imagined. Once I graduated college, I felt lost because for the first time in my life, there wasn't an expected or pre-arranged step for me to take next. So when I fell into my job (and loved it!), that's where I stayed.
Does that mean I'll be there forever? Who knows! I honestly don't know what will come next and I'm sloooooowly learning that that's how life is.
And that's what I loved most about this list (see the last bullet point). I loved realizing that no one quite has their twenties (or lives, for the matter) all figured out. There are dreams, there are hopes, and aspirations, but when it all comes down to it, God's the one who has our lives in His hands.
So here are a few things I'd include in my 20's list. I'm still in my early 20's so it's short list, but a list I hope to learn from and add to as the years go on.
- Life does not go as you expect it. Nor do boys come along as easily as they do in the movies!
- Fall in love with Jesus. Seek Him, desire Him, and go to Him. Trusting Him is hard, but so very, very good.
- Take care of your body. You only have one body and the last thing you need to do is bash or trash it,
- Similarly, wear clothes that fit. Not clothes that are a certain number or size, but brands that fit well and that you feel comfortable in.
- Remember that it's YOUR life. You don't have to do what everyone else is doing. Nor do you need to compare your life to others. No one wins from comparing.
- Treat yourself. Sometimes life calls for naps, shopping sprees (albeit small ones!), and movie nights. It's okay to take care of yourself.
- Friends are harder to come by than you think. Hold onto the ones you've got.
Do YOU have a list of things you've learned in your 20's (or 30's, 40's, etc.)? If you don't have one, what would your list include?
And do you love these kinds of lists as much as I do? Here are a few that I've loved and found via the blogging community:
- 15 things i'm glad i learned before i turned 25 via From Roses
- birthday advice via Taking Steps Home
- 20 profound truths you learn in your 20's via PopSugar
- 20 things to learn in your 20's via Relevant Magazine
- money lessons learned in my 20's via A Beautiful Mess
- 20 lessons learned via Elise Blaha Cripe